The Olyphant Borough recently completed a major renovation to the borough building. The project included the installation of a new elevator, upgraded the handicap bathrooms, upgraded the fire alarm systems and included repairs to the electrical system, ceiling, walls, floor titles and windows. There was also abatement of lead paint, installation of new carpets and a canopy over the rear entrance.
Olyphant was incorporated in 1877 and the borough building was built in 1911. A time capsule was buried in front of the borough building during the 1977 centennial celebration.
The chairman of the renovation project was Robert Hudak (past president of the Olyphant Council) and this renovation project was coordinated with the Olyphant Borough Council, borough solicitor and manager C. J. Mustacchio, borough engineer Louis LaFratte and with the architects Thomas Harlacher and Joseph Descipio and general contractor A. J. Guzzi.
The borough received a $10,000 re-invest grant for this project from Lackawanna County Commissioners.
State Sen. John Blake assisted in arranging for a $200,000 local share account (LSA) grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.
From left, front row: Louis LaFratte, Dave Krukovitz, Mayor John Sedlak Jr., Robert Hudak, state Sen. John Blake, Lackawanna County Commissioner Patrick O’Malley, Mike Abda, James Baldan and Robert Hooper. Back row: C. J. Mustacchio, Christine Powell and Jerry Tully.