At the Carbondale Public Library, 5 N. Main St. in Carbondale:
• Freeplay & Storytime, Thursdays at 11 a.m. Enjoy playtime and storytime with your children and new friends. Let your children unwind with others their age, while working on early learning skills (shhh they don’t know they are learning). For infants to preschool; siblings are welcome.
• World Music Jam, Thursday, Aug. 16, at 1:30 p.m. Explore the world through music. Everyone will have an opportunity to play an instrument. For children who participated in the Summer Quest. Registration is required. You can register at the library or by calling.
• Elvis Film Festival
Thursday, Aug. 16, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Celebrate Elvis Presley with a film festival, including “Viva Las Vegas!” “King Creole,” “Jailhouse Rock,” and “The Trouble with Girls.” Call to register
• History of Baseball, Saturday, Aug. 18, at 11:30 a.m. Spend Carbondale’s Pioneer Days learning about the local baseball legends of yesteryear? Join local author, Paul Brown (“The Coal Barons played Cuban Giants: a history of early professional baseball in Pennsylvania, 1886-1896”) as he takes us back to baseball’s beginnings. There will be a display of vintage baseball cards, equipment, books, etc. Call to register.
• SHARKnado Week, Aug. 19-24. The sixth and final Sharknado premiers Aug. 19 and the library is celebrating Shark(Nado) Week. Stop by the library for a viewing of each available Sharknado counting down from 5 to the original. Starting at 5 p.m. each night. Call to register.
• Senior Nutrition Program, Tuesday, Aug. 21, at 11 a.m. Wayne Memorial Hospital Nutrition Services presents Seniors Eating Well. This presentation is designed to teach seniors the importance of good nutrition as we get older. Call to register.
• “Staying Happy and Healthy in the Fall.” Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 11 a.m. A representative from a Clarks Summit physician will be at the library for a discussion and presentation on what anxiety and depression look like and when to reach out for help. Tips and tricks for stress management and mindful exercise will be given as coping mechanisms. Call to register.
• Creative Writing Clubs are forming at the Carbondale Public Library. A young adult group is forming beginning on Thursday, Aug. 23, at 6 p.m. and meeting every other Thursday to follow. This will be a forum for young adults to express themselves through creating writing of prose, poetry, graphic novels and more. This promises to be a worthwhile experience. Register for this.
The Carbondale Public Library is interested in forming a Creative writing club for adults as well. Call the library to sign up.
• Sip, Sample and Socialize, Thursday, Aug. 30, at 6-7:30 p.m. This free program presented by Cori Wright is sure to be a fun and informative experience. Drop by and sample essential oils and other products while socializing and having a cocktail with your friends. Call to register.
• Batty for Bats, Thursday, Aug. 30, at 2 p.m. The Lackawanna State Park will be presenting Batty for Bats. This presentation will answer any questions you may have about these interesting creatures. Call to register.